Recipe + Photos by April Viar
I first discovered vegan hot dogs served with vegan cream cheese when I lived in Seattle, Wa. I had never tried this style before and wow was it delicious. I decided to veganize my own version using several Certified Vegan ingredients including Lightlife Jumbo Smart Dogs, Oatly Original Cream Cheese, Pretzilla Pretzel Sausage Buns, Hellmann’s Vegan Dressing & Spread and Spudsy Zesty Ranch Sweet Potato Fries. Vegan food has come so far since my Seattle days! We are so fortunate to have so many solid, fun options.The Sub Pup makes a super tasty snack or lunch and the Pretzilla bun is the perfect vessel for this creation.
- 4 oz Certified Vegan Oatly Original Cream Cheese
- 3 Certified Vegan Jumbo Smart Dogs
- 3 Certified Vegan Pretzilla Pretzel Sausage Buns
- 1 tbsp Certified Vegan Hellmann’s Vegan Dressing and Spread
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced cucumbers
- 1/2 tsp sriracha
- 1/2 tsp fresh chopped dill
- 1 tbsp finely diced red onion
- 1 tsp olive oil (for sauteing onions)
- 1/2 tsp of olive oil (for pan frying smart dogs)
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Grab a bowl and combine diced cucumbers, dill, Hellmann’s dressing, red onions, pinch of salt and garlic powder. Mix everything up really well and put the cucumber relish to the side.
- Add 1 tsp of olive oil and sliced onions to a pan, saute on medium heat till onions are tender. Mix 1/2 tsp of sriracha into the onions. Cook for one min and turn the heat off.
- In another pan, add 1/2 tsp of olive oil and the three smart pups. Cook on medium heat for six to seven minutes, turning frequently.
- Heat up your Pretzilla Bun in the oven for five minutes at 350F.
- Slice the Pretzilla Bun down the middle and spread the Oatly Cream Cheese inside the bun. Add the Smart Pup.Top with onions, cucumber relish and a drizzle of sriracha.
- Serve with a side of Certified Vegan Spudsy Zesty Ranch Sweet Potato Fries. Enjoy!