Whip up this arugula salad recipe in just 5 minutes. Fresh arugula tossed with shaved parmesan, pepita seeds and a light lemon vinaigrette. It’ll be your favorite side salad.
We love to top this salad with Air Fryer Shrimp, Honey Glazed Salmon or Bacon Wrapped Chicken to make it a meal!
Healthy Arugula Salad Recipe
This arugula salad recipe is the solution for when you want to serve an impressive, restaurant-worthy salad but don’t want to leave your kitchen! It’s perfect for the summer, but it’ll find its way to your weekly menus well past it.
Lots of vibrant and peppery arugula, salty parmesan, and crunchy pepitas are the perfect base for a whisked vinaigrette that’s ready in seconds. Packed with lemon juice, olive oil, and honey for a dash of sweetness, good luck buying a salad dressing from the store ever again!
Served as a side or turned into a main with some grilled chicken, there’s no denying it’s a symphony of freshness in a bowl. Ready in 10 minutes, there’s literally no excuse not to eat your leafy greens anymore.
Why You’ll Love This Simple Arugula Salad
This salad is a game-changer, even if you’ve never particularly loved eating your greens. Everyone will love it!
- Simple. You only need 3 ingredients for the salad and 5 for the vinaigrette. It’s that easy!
- Prep-friendly. Prepare the salad and dressing in advance for a quick lunch or side throughout the week.
- Work-friendly. With the vinaigrette in a small container, this salad is a nutrient-dense lunch that’ll keep you super productive all day.
- Healthy. There’s nothing processed or unhealthy about this recipe, especially not when you have a homemade dressing!
What You’ll Need
It’s all about the arugula’s freshness for the best summer salad ever. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact amounts.
- Parmesan cheese – Use the fresh stuff!
- Raw pepitas – Toasted pepitas are great too.
- Garlic clove – Please don’t use garlic powder.
- Lemon juice – You can also use half the amount of lime juice.
- Olive oil
- Honey – Raw honey is best.
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Arugula Salad
You literally can’t complain about a 2-step salad. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for more detailed instructions.
- Make the vinaigrette. Whisk the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, honey, salt, and pepper in a small bowl until well combined. Set it aside.
- Toss the salad. Mix the arugula, parmesan, and pepita seeds in a salad bow. Drizzle the dressing over the salad or serve it on the side. Serve and enjoy.
Tips & Variations
This simple arugula salad can be spiced up with a handful of extra ingredients like more nuts, zest, and chicken.
- Use a salad mix. No worries if you don’t have lots of fresh arugula at home, you can use your favorite salad mix instead.
- Prep ahead. Whisk the dressing and toss the salad in advance so all you have to do is mix them together seconds before digging in for lunch or dinner.
- Use store-bought. While this vinaigrette is way better, don’t worry if you don’t have all of the ingredients to make it. Use your favorite store-bought one instead.
- Add nuts and seeds. Aside from pepitas, almonds, walnuts, pecans, and sunflower seeds are great swaps in this recipe. You can also add a mix of them for more flavor!
- Make it zestier. Add 1 teaspoon of freshly grated lemon zest for a kick of citrusy goodness.
- Add protein. Top this salad with grilled chicken or leftover rotisserie chicken for some extra protein.
Don’t worry if you’ve never used or tried arugula before. The answers to these FAQs will tell you all about it.
Yes! All salad greens, like arugula, should be thoroughly rinsed prior to using them to remove any dirt, debris, or little bugs.
Absolutely! Aside from being rich in vitamins and minerals, it’s high in phytochemicals that help strengthen the immune system and protect against cancer. This superfood is also high in fiber, which aids with digestion.
Yes, the only difference is that it’s mostly called arugula in the US and it’s referred to as “rocket” in parts of Europe and Oceania.
Refrigerate the salad and vinaigrette separately for up to 5 days. Keep it away from strong-smelling foods to avoid the transfer of odors. When on the counter for serving, keep it away from direct sunlight or sources of humidity.
More Healthy Salad Recipes
Whip up this simple arugula salad recipe in just 5 minutes. Fresh arugula tossed with shaved parmesan, pepita seeds and a light lemon vinaigrette. It’ll be your favorite side salad.
- To a small bowl add, garlic clove, lemon juice, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper. Whisk until emulsified, or when the lemon juice and olive oil no longer separate. Set aside.
- To a large bowl add, arugula, shaved parmesan, and pepita seeds. Drizzle the dressing over the arugula and gently toss to coat everything. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 163
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 162 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 7 mg
Keywords: arugula salad recipe, simple arugula salad, rocket salad