This baked Chicken Parmesan recipe is a lightened-up twist of the classic Italian version. Lightly coated and then baked instead of fried, each bite is a taste of Italy topped with homemade tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella. A must make comfort dinner your favorite will love!
The Best Baked Chicken Parmesan Recipe
Coated with a homemade panko mixture, this baked chicken parmesan is a healthy alternative to your favorite Italian-American comfort food. Spread with a fire-roasted tomato sauce and creamy mozzarella, it’ll be a weeknight hit every time.
Popped into the oven, you’ll be happy to forget about this dish until 5 minutes before serving. Even better, if you make the sauce while it’s baking, you can cut down on cooking time. With traditional herbs and spices like basil and oregano, you’ll be cleaning the plate and asking for seconds of this golden, juicy chicken in no time.
Served piping hot so the cheese is nice and gooey, this baked chicken parmesan recipe is an easy dinner that everyone will love. Especially with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, no one will know what flavor bomb just hit them!
Why You’ll Love This Healthy Chicken Parmesan
This baked chicken parmesan will find its way to your weekly meal rotation and dinner party menus in no time.
- Classic. Loaded with traditional Italian flavors, this American comfort food will have everyone asking for seconds.
- Great for dinner parties. Popped into the oven until golden and melty, you can forget about the chicken and have fun with your guests until it’s time to dig in.
- Prep-friendly. Make the sauce and breading mixture in advance so you can cut down on prep time during the week.
- Easy. Although it looks super impressive, all you need to do is bread the chicken, spread it with sauce, add cheese, and let it melt in the oven.
What You’ll Need
Between the tomato sauce and chicken, the ingredients in this recipe will make your kitchen smell like a restaurant in Rome. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact amounts.
For the Chicken Parm:
- Chicken breast – Feel free to use boneless and skinless chicken thighs.
- Gluten-free panko – Regular panko is great too.
- Parmesan cheese – Use the fresh stuff!
- Gluten-free flour – All-purpose flour will also do the trick.
- Dried basil – Don’t use fresh basil or it’ll burn in the oven.
- Garlic powder – In case you run out, onion powder is a good swap.
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh mozzarella – Use fresh, sliced mozzarella so that it can melt properly and create a thick layer of cheese. If you’ve run out, about 1/3 cup of shredded mozzarella per chicken breast is okay.
For the Tomato Sauce
- Avocado oil – Feel free to use olive oil.
- Garlic – You can also use garlic powder.
- Red onion – Yellow onion works too.
- Crushed fire-roasted tomatoes – Any canned crushed tomatoes are fine.
- Dried oregano – Fresh oregano is amazing here as well.
- Salt and pepper
- Zucchini noodles
- Fresh basil
How to Make Baked Chicken Parmesan
This recipe is just like making your favorite chicken cutlets in the oven and then topping them with tomato sauce and melty cheese. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for more detailed instructions.
Make the Sauce
- Cook the onions. Heat a pot to medium-high. Add the avocado oil. Add the onion and sauteé it for 3-4 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook it for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes. Add the crushed tomatoes, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Simmer it. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce it to a simmer. Let it cook for 10 minutes and then set it aside.
Make the Chicken Parmesan
- Prepare the oven. Preheat the oven to 400F. Generously spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set it aside.
- Mix the breading. Whisk the panko, parmesan, flour, basil, and garlic powder in a shallow dish until well combined.
- Dredge the chicken. Pat the chicken dry on all sides with a paper towel. Dredge it in the panko mixture.
- Whisk the eggs. Add the egg whites and egg to a small bowl. Whisk to combine and set it aside.
- Use the egg mixture. Dredge the breaded chicken in the eggs and then in the panko mixture again. Press it down so it’s completely covered on all sides.
- Arrange the chicken. Place the breaded chicken on the prepared baking sheet. Spray it with cooking spray.
- Bake it. Pop it into the oven for 30 minutes or until crispy.
- Make it melty. Remove the chicken from the oven and spread each chicken breast with 3 tablespoons of tomato sauce and 2 slices of mozzarella. Bake it for another 5 minutes or until melty.
- Serve. Remove the chicken from the oven and serve it immediately over zucchini noodles. Garnish it with fresh basil and enjoy.
Tips for Success
Whether you make it spicy or flatten the chicken, these tips will help you perfect this healthy chicken parmesan recipe.
- Keep it crispy longer. Add the cheese directly over the cutlet and then spoon the sauce on top. This way there isn’t lots of moisture in contact with the panko and the chicken stays crispier.
- Flatten the chicken. To make sure the chicken cooks evenly, cover it with parchment paper and use a rolling pin or meat mallet to pound it until it’s an even thickness.
- Use regular breadcrumbs. No worries if you can’t find panko or don’t have it on hand. Regular breadcrumbs work too.
- Make it spicy. Sprinkle 1-2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes into the breading mixture for a kick of heat.
- Use store-bought. When you’re in a rush, swap the homemade sauce for an organice store-bought one.
What to Serve With Chicken Parmesan
This baked chicken parmesan is great with some easy sides and a salad. Keep them from being too saucy so that the tomato sauce in the dish really has a chance to shine. For veggie sides, try my Air Fryer Asparagus and Honey Glazed Carrots. For salads, I love to pair it with my Tomato Panzanella Salad or Wedge Salad with Light Blue Cheese Dressing.
Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Keep it away from direct sunlight when on the counter for serving because chicken is super sensitive to heat. To reheat it, pop it into a preheated oven at 350F for 15 minutes. If you’re in a rush, 1 minute in the microwave usually does the trick too.
More Healthy Chicken Dinners
This baked Chicken Parmesan recipe is a lightened-up twist of the classic Italian version. Lightly coated and then baked instead of fried, each bite is a taste of Italy topped with homemade tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella.
Make the Sauce:
- Bring a medium saucepan to medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil and red onion. Saute for 3-4 minutes until onions become translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds add in crushed tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Set aside when finished.
Make the Chicken Parmesan:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray a baking sheet with PAM cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large shallow dish add gluten free panko, parmesan cheese, flour, dry basil and garlic powder. Toss to mix.
- Add egg whites and egg to a small bowl, whisk together. Set aside.
- Pat chicken breast dry. Dredge chicken breast in the panko parmesan mixture, then in the egg mixture on both sides and back in the panko parmesan mixture. Be sure to press the mixture into the chicken so it sticks.
- Place coated chicken breasts on greased baking sheet. Repeat until all chicken breasts are coated. Once on baking sheet, gently spray the top of the chicken breast with cooking spray.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Top each chicken breast with 3 tablespoons of tomato sauce and 2 slices of mozzarella cheese, bake for 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serve Parmesan Chicken on top of raw zucchini noodles, top with a little extra tomato sauce and fresh basil.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken parmesan
- Calories: 642
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 1271 mg
- Fat: 24 g
- Saturated Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 47 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 69 g
- Cholesterol: 253 mg
Keywords: baked chicken parmesan, baked chicken parmesan recipe, healthy chicken parmesan